Posted on November 29, 2015
Cranberry Apple Sauce/Relish
In case you didn’t get enough cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving (I can’t ever get enough!), here’s a recipe for cranberry apple relish.
My husband and stepson tried it with vanilla ice cream and they thought it was great. Since I am not eating dairy right now, I’ll have to take their word for it. I can tell you it tasted great all on it’s own!
- 2 apples, cored, peeled and diced
- 1 (5.3 oz) package pomegranate seeds (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup Zinfandel wine
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 5 slices of orange peel
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 slices peeled ginger
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 8 oz bag of cranberries
- Core and peel the apples. Save the apples for the sauce.
- Place the apple cores and peels in a medium saucepan with everything but the cranberries; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dice the apples while the sauce is simmering.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Use the back of spoon to push on the pomegranates and squeeze any remaining juice from them. Remove the solids. Return liquid to the saucepan.
- Add cranberries and diced apples to the saucepan; cook over high heat 10 minutes or until berries pop.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 to 30 minutes; until mixture is the desired thickness.
- Pour into a bowl and allow to cool.